North Carolina Salvage Title

An auto involved in an accident in the state of North Carolina becomes a salvage vehicle if the damage estimate is 100 percent of its value to completely repair or replace it. This will result in the issuance of a North Carolina Salvage Certificate for the vehicle. It becomes a salvage vehicle and can't be driven on the highways or have a valid license plate. If the vehicle is restored, it has to be inspected before a Rebuilt Title will be issued. A rebuilt vehicle with a MD Salvage Rebuilt Title can be driven on the highways.

Sponsored Link Ad

1: Get Started with Online Application Assistance

Application assistance services can simplify the process for many DMV related services for a fee, including: renewing your license, applying for a license, registering a vehicle, replacing your license, changing your address and more. Other benefits include an ongoing monthly newsletter and a quarterly magazine covering important updates that affect drivers, important safety tips, trends, legislative updates and ways to save money on vehicle-related services.

2: By mail

Some drivers prefer to handle the renewal process by mail, rather than taking advantage of assistance services, visiting the DMV in person, or via available online services. Service by mail is available with limitations. Read below for additional details or visit your local DMV.

3: Via a DMV office

If your specific needs require an in-person visit, most, if not all, driver license services can be handled at your local DMV office. Varying DMV offices sometimes supply different types of services so you will need to check before your visit to make sure the DMV closest to you provides the service you require. In addition, you can call to see if your DMV allows you to make a personal appointment.

North Carolina Salvage Titles

In the state of North Carolina, a vehicle is deemed a total loss by an insurance company if repairing or rebuilding the vehicle comes out to more than 75 percent of the fair market value of the vehicle. Once claimed as a total loss, your salvaged vehicle will be assigned a NC Salvaged Title. Your salvaged vehicle must be rebuilt or restored and pass inspection before it can be registered to be driven on the highways.

Applying for a North Carolina Salvage Rebuilt Certificate of Title

Once your vehicle is deemed a total loss by your insurance company, you must apply for a Certificate of Salvage Title with the NC Division of Motor Vehicles. To apply for a new title certificate only, you'll need to bring the following to your local DMV branch:

  • Original title certificate
  • Bill of sale
  • Appropriate title fees.

If your salvaged vehicle is six years old or newer, you have to have an Anti-Theft Inspection by the License & Theft Bureau before a title can be issued.

Note: You can apply for a duplicate Salvage Certificate of Title if the original was lost. Click here to access the form.

North Carolina Salvage and Safety Vehicle Inspection

After repairing your salvaged vehicle to roadworthy condition, you'll have to get it inspected at a NC DMV License & Theft Bureau facility. Please note that the salvage vehicle examination is not a safety inspection, an emissions inspection, or an insurance examination. If your vehicle passes the Anti-Theft inspection, the DMV will mail your title certificate to you.

For information on the NC Vehicle Safety Inspection, please click here.

Title an Abandoned Vehicle in North Carolina

If you are looking to claim an abandoned vehicle in North Carolina, you must first wait for local authorities to claim it and contact the owner. For more information regarding abandoned motor vehicles in NC, you can contact the License & Theft Bureau at 919-861-3141.